Today begins the week officially. Many people don’t like Mondays but nobody can hide from it, we can only prepare for it and the rest days of the week. Putting your mind together in the midst of all the programs, activities, work and other things you want to do can be overwhelming. Battling all of these things leads to stress and stress on the other hand have adverse effects on our health.
… Some of the health challenges we see all around the world are induced by stress. This is because the human system is created with limits.
Stress occurs when the human system is overtasked or forced to operate beyond it’s limitations for a prolonged period of time. If we fail to control or manage stress, it is harmful to our health – physical body, mind or emotions. I believe stress is not totally avoidable but I also believe it can very well be managed.
Effects of stress on the body
- Brain and Nerves. Headache, feeling of despair, lack of energy, difficulty sleeping, trouble concentrating, memory problems, anger, sadness, panic, depression e.t.c.
- Heart. Faster heartbeat or palpitations, rise in blood pressure, increased risk of heart attack.
- Stomach. Nausea, stomach ache, weight gain or loss, increased or decreased appetite, increased risk of diabetes, diarrhea, constipation and other digestive problems.
- Reproductive Organs. For women – irregular or painful periods, reduced sexual desire. For men – impotence, low sperm production, reduced sexual desire.
- Others. Acne and other skin problems, muscle ache, weakened immune system e.t.c.
There are definitely other factors that causes some of these things as well but most times they started off through stress.
…When our body is used beyond limits our system begins to malfunction both physically, psychologically or emotionally.
Some of us give more time to our job, career or certain activities more than we give to our bodies. Believe me my friend, it is when we have life we can work. Someone lying on the hospital bed can never think of work than to just get well.
What to do when stressed
We have too many things to do most times that human capacity can not contain. I believe we are not here on earth on our own accord, someone designed the whole system and understand it all, so that lead us to the first point…
- Talk to God. Through prayer you bring God into all that concerns you and avoid the feeling of being overwhelmed by anything. With God, rest and peace is sure.
- Make it a habit to always have a break from physical/mental activities and make time to rest.
- You can’t do it alone. Share or delegates task. Get assistance or support of other people. It makes life easier.
- Be open. Don’t lock yourself away. Speak to people that can help when issues arise. These people can be friends, professionals or experts.
- Meditate on God’s word. Exercise and maintain a attitude of gratitude always.
Wish you all a wonderful, blessed and stress free week.
Thanks for your time. Glad to start today with you.
Leave your comments below.